Early bits of Garden

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Okay, I'll admit it.

My church attendance, these days, is kinda spotty. Like, now that my friends have, for the most part, given up on weddings, I hardly ever have to locate Sunday clothes for any reason.

However, some mad atavism prompted me to try to get to an Easter service, mostly because years of choral singing left me a wound in the shape of multipart musical arrangements which is not quite filled by the contents of my local college radio.

And since I'm far enough from my churched roots that I'm no longer embarrassed by my non-participation, I can drop into a pointy building whenever I feel like coloring in my program during the readings.

Easter, one supposes, would be a big day for such occasional visitors. You'd THINK churches would be on the make, at least so far as to have information like 'Kyle Emerson, of our youth group The Resurrectors, will be favoring us with his own arrangement of "Christ the Lord" scored for bassoon and flute.'

No such luck, in my area.Trolling on a dozen websites (after an embarrassing amount of memory games on the subject of "The big brick one, with the car washes. What's its name?") failed to unearth even simple information such as "Easter Service is at 10." Many of the websites weren't even clear on the date of Easter, apparently considering this whole 'movable feast' thing a quaint holdover. If the 12th of March was a dandy Easter last year, why change?

Well, for one thing, the weather's much nicer, right now.

But it left me, without access to the newsletter, wondering just where and when Kyle's skills would be on display. Because the LAST thing that would help me tap into my love of all things renewed would be to chance upon a church with exaggerated notions of the kiss of peace, and an entertainment component that runs to puppetry.

The world wide web is so big. And yet, the information on it so minimal.

A little Handel wouldn't kill ya would it? I might just need to spend the shank of the evening driving around, hoping their signs are updated more often than their webpages.

Happy Easter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home